The Episcopal Church welcomes all who worship Jesus Christ, in 109 Dioceses and three Regional Areas in 17 Nations. The Episcopal Church is a member province of the worldwide Anglican Communion under the leadership of Bishop Michael B. Curry.
St. Alban’s is a member of the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis, with nearly 50 Parishes and over 10, 000 Communicants under the leadership of Bishop Jennifer Baskerville-Burrows.
Curious about Episcopalians? See how bishops, priests, musicians and just plain regular church folk define who we are and what we stand for at I am an Episcopalian.
St. Alban’s is named for Britain’s first martyr, a pagan soldier who converted to Christianity and was condemned after helping a priest escape persecution.
Key points in our history include:
- 1956 – Founded as a mission, St Alban’s held its inaugural service on February 19th. Five acres of land were donated to the Episcopal Diocese for the mission church. Formerly occupied by the Highland Ebenezer Evangelical Lutheran Church (1869), stones of its original foundation are still visible on the property along with a small 19th century cemetery. Most graves were relocated except for those whose “kin” could not be found. One remaining grave is that of a Civil War veteran.
- 1957 –Ground breaking held on the Feast of St. Alban for the first building phase.
- Early on, fathers in our congregation wanted to establish a youth baseball league so that all children in the neighborhood could play the game. So began St. Alban’s baseball and three baseball diamonds were erected on the property. Our connection to youth baseball continues today.
- 1971 – The current sanctuary was constructed for the growing congregation.
- 1983 – St. Alban’s caught fire and was heavily damaged. Services were temporarily held in a Roman Catholic church.
- 1996 – A tornado swept through the area but left St. Alban’s untouched. Quickly St. Alban’s became the central location for those in need.
- 2006 – Celebrated 50 years of ministry!
- TODAY – We continue ministering to our community and live the Gospel by showing God’s love to all people.
Our facility has much to offer. Five acres of space, two baseball fields, a half-acre garden, a mid-century modern building, a large parish hall available for rent, a magnificent organ, and a massive quilt telling the story of Jesus Christ through scenes from the gospels. It has to be seen in person, but for now, the slideshow will have to suffice until you can visit and study it in person.